Wow… if there’s one thing I’ve learned from doing The Official Questions for Dessert Food Journal Challenge for a couple days now, it’s that I seem to instinctually be able to determine how much food I need. I don’t look at my total calorie count until the end of the day (usually right after dinner but before my evening snack), and I seem to be in the 1500-1700 range every time.
1. (6am) I’m still out of coffee this morning, so instead I had a cup of apricot ginger tea before going to the gym (upper body strength day). I really need to get to Trader Joe’s this week! Maybe Friday.
2. (8am) Pepperoni and mushroom omelet again–but I realized I miscalculated the nutritional information for it (I was originally figuring it would be 4 servings, but it actually made 6), so I readjusted those figures for today. I also had Low Sugar Peaches and Cream Quaker Instant oatmeal.
187 calories, 3g fat, 29g carbs, 2g fiber, 11g protein
3 & 4. (11am) My usual: a double tall nonfat latte. Today, I paired it with a Weight Watchers Amaretto-flavored yogurt, 1 tablespoon of almonds and a quarter cup of a mixture of high fiber and high protein cereals by Trader Joe’s.
319 calories, 7g fat, 47g carbs, 6g fiber, 22g protein
5, 6 & 7. (1pm) Lunchtime! Clam chowder, Healthy Life wheat toast (high fiber, only 35 calories per slice) and a tablespoon of peanut butter, a handful of Golden Grahams & fruity Cheerios (dessert). Also, an egg white omelet packed with veggies (spinach, mushroom, onions, tomato) and way too much cheese. The whole thing was a bit much, so I removed the cheese and only ate half of the omelet. I followed lunch with a couple sugar free Werthers so I wouldn’t be tempted by the cookie station!
374 calories, 17g fat, 34g carbs, 9g fiber, 21g protein
8. (4pm) Every once in awhile I really like the convenience of a bar, but I really have to be careful about the amount of carbs (sometimes it’s wicked high!) due to my PCOS. This mocha chip Balance Bar seemed reasonable and tasted great.
200 calories, 6g fat, 21g carbs, 1g fiber, 16g protein
9 & 10. (7pm) Finally! A relaxing dinner at home. Cornish hen with carrots, asparagus and potatoes. I first parboiled the veggies and then cooked up a slice of bacon (chopped) and diced onion with some fresh sage and a little bit of olive oil until the onions were soft and the bacon was cooked, but not yet crispy. Then I added the veggies and continued to cook them until the bacon was crisp and the veggies were fork-tender. This is definitely one of those meals that tastes more extravagant than it is–and after eating dinner on the run Monday and Tuesday, I really needed and wanted it! Sure, there’s bacon in it, but just once piece flavored two portions each of the carrots, potatoes and asparagus. Dessert: sugar free Jello and Cool Whip Light.
304 calories, 7g fat, 29gcarbs, 6g fiber, 34g protein
11. (9:30pm) I had a date with friends to watch Lost & Top Chef so I brought my own snack: a small apple (leftover from Panera) and a tablespoon of peanut butter.
161 calories, 8g fat, 22g carbs, 4g fiber, 4g protein
- 1564 calories
- 48g fat (27% of calories from fat)
- 183g carbs (46% of calories from carbs)
- 28g fiber
- 107g protein (27% of calories from protein)