Here it is! Another day of The Official QuestionsforDessert Food Journal Challenge. I can tell I was overtired today–and not just because I scoured the office looking for toothpicks or Q-Tips to hold up my eyelids. I was hungry. I ate more than usual today and never seemed to feel satiated. I must have eaten half a pack (okay, more like 3 sticks) of Extra Polar Ice gum in an effort to control the urge to shove food down my throat all day.
You see… I’ve had nighttime commitments every night this week. By the time I’ve gotten home and in bed, it’s after 10. Last night, it was around 11:30-ish which completely pushed me over the fatigue precipice. A girl who gets up at 5:30 for the gym really needs to get more zzzzzzs than that!
Studies have shown that sleep deprivation have a very negative impact on weight loss. Some of the more obvious reasons for this are the fact that when you’re tired, you’re less likely to go to the gym OR make healthy meals. Who wants to cook and clean dishes when all the bed or the sofa and Primetime TV are calling your name? The other challenge is our body tends to want food (because calories=energy) when it’s overtired. Those who are sleep deprived may not even know it, but they’re probably reaching for up to 200 calories extra a day just to stave off fatigue! That could result in a 1-2lb weight gain in a month.
The less obvious reason for the sleep deprivation diet failure is hormonal. Less than ideal sleep results in an increase of stress hormones which impact satiety and hunger.
For more information, go here. In the meantime, my plan for tonight is to be in bed before 10 and to go to the gym a smidge later tomorrow morning so I don’t have to set my alarm til 6am. Then I’ll catch up some more this weekend and have a better sleep schedule in place by Monday.
1. (6am) Ginger peach tea again! I really love this stuff. It may permanently replace my morning coffee, since I already get that fix with my mid-morning latte.
2. (7:45am) Pepperoni & Mushroom Omelet, oat bran with unsweetened dried cranberries, Skim Plus milk, walnuts, flaxseed, cinnamon and Splenda (w/fiber).
409 calories, 13 g fat, 63 g carbs, 10 g fiber, 39 g protein
3 & 4. (10am) I’m really starting to love this yogurt combo! Today, I added 2 oz of blueberries to Weight Watchers Amaretto Cheesecake Yogurt, 1 tsp ground flaxseed, 1 TBS raw slivered almonds, 1/4 c. of the TJ’s blend of high fiber and high protein cereals. Don’t forget the double tall nonfat latte!
368 calories, 8 g fat, 59 g carbs, 9 g fiber, 23 g protein
5, 6 & 7. (12:30pm) Lunch. Gosh, I was starving today. Lunch was a small side salad with light French dressing, baked chips and a tuna sandwich on light wheat, packed with lettuce, tomato and hot peppers. Bonus: not one, but TWO dill pickle spears. I love ’em. Unfortunately, thanks to the chips, this meal was a little too high in carbs for me. Surprisingly, the calorie total is quite reasonable!
395 calories, 12 g fat, 52 g carbs, 7 g fiber, 14 g protein
8. (3:15pm) Another Balance Bar! Today’s pick: chocolate mint cookie crunch
210 calories, 6g fat, 24 g carbs, 0g fiber, 14g protein
9. (6:30pm) Salmon, sugar snap peas and cran-almond rice. A week or so ago, I stumbled across This Is Just Sweet Enough and fell in love with Sweetie Pie’s healthy food philosophy and pictures of some amazing recipes. Her recipe for Soy Orange Roasted Sugar Snap Peas had my mouth watering before you could say “Dinnertime!” I’ve been wanting to try this ever since, but needed to contemplate what to pair it with. End result: I doubled the marinade recipe, using half of it on the salmon (marinating in the fridge for an hour) and the other half on the snap peas. I also made a cran-almond rice using some unsweetened dried cranberries, almonds and jasmine rice. Recipe is here. This was by far the best dinner I’ve had all week–good veg, a little vitamin C, healthy fish oils. Yum!
404 calories, 14 g fat, 36g carbs, 5 g fiber, 33g protein
My challenge tonight will be avoiding cake. I’m going to a celebratory event on campus that will have confections galore. Oh my! I thought ahead and decided to stop at Starbucks and bring a Tazo green tea (not pictured) with me, so I won’t be tempted. Oh… and another piece of Extra Polar Ice gum!
- 1752 calories
- 48 g fat (24% of calories)
- 234 g carbs (51% of calories)
- 32 g fiber
- 112 g protein (25% of calories)