I apologize in advance. I should have taken a picture–the salad looked beautiful, I swear!–but I was so hungry after the gym, I forgot that step.
Last weekend I bought fresh arugula and organic, free-range eggs from a local farm. What to make, what to make…
How about Breakfast Salad?
It doesn’t get easier or more delicious than this. Recipe serves 1.
- Chop a potato into 1″ cubes. Parboil until almost fork-tender. Drain.
- Coarsely chop 2 slices of lean, reduced sodium, thick-sliced bacon and saute. Once bacon edges starts to crisp, add the potatoes, salt and pepper and sautee until bacon and potatoes are crispy.
- Poach 1 large egg. Three and a half minutes should result in a soft-poached egg .(Yolk will start to cook but still be a little soft and drippy in the center.)
- Toss the bacon, potatoes and egg on top of the arugula.
- The egg will create the dressing (although feel free to add a little homemade mustard vinaigrette, if necessary). The argula is full of a beautiful, peppery flavor and it wilts nicely due to the hot egg, bacon and potatoes. The bacon and potatoes give this dish a nice bit of crisp.
Total calories: 300-ish (it depends on the size of the potato and the type of bacon you use)
The splurge factor comes from the sodium in the bacon and the total cholesterol content of the dish. I actually used a total of 2 eggs in mine (for an extra 70 calories) and it kept me satisfied for hours. I even skipped an evening snack/dessert.