This weekend I made Big Lebowski cupcakes for a house warming party I couldn’t attend. I taste tested one at home before sending Evan to the party with the goodies. Pretty delish, but the calories are on the high side, so this is definitely an indulgent treat!
The name of these cupcakes refer to the movie “The Big Lebowski” and the main character’s favorite drink: the white Russian. A white Russian is made with Kahlua, vodka and half and half or milk.
The cupcakes are chocolate Kahlua cupcakes, brushed with Absolut Vanilia and topped with Kahlua buttercream. So yum. The recipe is posted below. Both the cupcake and frosting recipe is slightly modified from the book Crazy About Cupcakes by Krystina Castella.
- 1.5 sticks of butter
- 1/2 c. cocoa powder
- 1.5 c. granulated sugar
- 1 TBS vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs, separated, at room temperature
- 1/2 c. cold water
- 1/2 c. Kahlua
- 2.25 c. all-purpose flour
- 3 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder (*my addition)
- 2 oz. Absolut Vanilia (*my addition)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and insert liners into a cupcake pan.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter, cocoa, 1 c. of the sugar and vanilla with an electric mixer on medium speed until light and creamy, about 3-5 minutes. Add egg yolks and beat for 4 minutes.
- In a small bowl, mix together water and Kahlua.
- In another large bowl, combine the dry ingredients.
- Add the dry ingredients to the creamed mixture, alternating with the Kahlua mixture. Mix on medium speed until the ingredients are completely combined.
- With clean beaters and a large bowl, beat the egg whites on high speed until they form soft peaks. Gradually beat in the remaining sugar to make a meringue. With a rubber spatula, fold the egg white mixture into the batter.
- Fill the cupcake liners 3/4 full. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cupcakes comes out clean. Cool cupcakes in the pan.
- Brush with Absolut Vanilia.
- 1 lb confectioner’s sugar
- 6 TBS unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1/4 cup of milk
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 TBS Kahlua
- Whip butter and Kahlua with a mixer until light and fluffy.
- Lower mixer speed and gradually add confectioner’s sugar and salt.
- Add milk, a tablespoon at a time.
- Whip until the frosting is the desired consistency.
- Pipe or spread on cupcakes.
- Dust cupcakes with a little bit of cocoa powder or hot cocoa mix.
Now… eat and enjoy!
This made 22 cupcakes.
Nutritional Information (per cupcake, including frosting) courtesy of Calorie Count:
- 313 calories
- 10 g. fat
- 6 g. saturated fat
- 48 g. carbs
- 1 g. fiber
- 37 g. sugar
- 3 g. protein