For some reason, the dreary weather earlier in the week had me craving a hot bowl of oats. While today’s dish was pumpkin pie oats, I’ve also included a bunch of other flavor combos I’ve tried or would like to try. I’d love to expand this list to 100 different oatmeal combos, so please feel free to add your own ideas in the comments section and I’ll add them to the list with a link to your blog, if you have one.
- Very filling.
- Great comfort food, but isn’t too carb heavy thanks to the nuts and egg whites.
- I hardly do a thing. The rice cooker does it all while I’m getting ready! I could easily make a batch big enough for the workweek, which would require even LESS work.
I’d also consider substituting the pumpkin and walnuts for the following combos:
- Banana Bread Flavor: banana and walnuts
- banana and peanut butter
- PB&J: peanut butter & low sugar strawberry jam
- peanut butter, banana & low-sugar strawberry jam
- peanut butter & honey
- peanut butter, banana & honey
- banana and carob chips
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Flavor: carob chips & walnuts or pecans
- fresh or frozen berries and almonds
- sugar free apple pie filling, unsweetened applesauce or fresh peeled apples with any kind of nut
- diced pear
- diced peaches
- Aria Vanilla protein powder (I’ve tried a dozen different kinds, but this one is my favorite and can be found at Trader Joe’s, Whole Foods, Stop and Shop or Wegmans)
- figs or dates and walnuts or pecans
- fresh vanilla bean or a high quality vanilla extract and almost any kind of nut
- unsweetened cocoa powder (maybe also unsweetened coconut flakes) and almost any kind of nut
- plain ole nutmeg and cinnamon and vanilla
- Sundae-flavored: pineapple, marachino cherry, unsweetened coconut and chopped pecans
- unsweetened cocoa and peanut butter
- unsweetened cocoa and banana
- sprinkled with some crispy turkey bacon (nothing like a savory twist on a typically sweet dish)
- low fat turkey breakfast sausage
- crumbled Morningstar breakfast “sausage” patties
- a little bit of mashed sweet potato
- plain with some vanilla and ginger and topped with a crushed gingersnap
- Cinnamon Roll flavor: cinnamon and walnuts (raisins optional)
- Chai Latte: use chai tea concentrate instead of water and toss in some vanilla Aria protein powder to boost protein and flavor.
- Banana Chai Latte: same as above with the addition of chopped or mashed bananas. Great combo!
Additions from our readers:
- Plain old maple syrup! (The real stuff, people–not the “maple flavored syrup” you find on most grocery store shelves.)
- Cardamom and chopped mango, topped with pistachios
- Jess also recommended sweetened condensed milk which reminded me of the Magic Cookie Bars my grandma used to make (some people call them Seven Layer Bars). How good would oatmeal taste with some coconut, carob chips, walnuts and top with a crushed graham cracker?
Who said oats need to be boring?