Today was a day of cooking what sights and tastes caught my attention. I saw that SweetiePie made pulled pork this week and my mouth started watering. I couldn’t force the thought of those spicy green beans from PF Chang’s last night out of my head. So… I made both.
- a 2-3lb pork loin (mine was a 2.8lb center cut pork loin–nice and lean)
- 1 bottle of Yeungling
- 1/2 a red onion, chopped
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 small jalapenos (1 whole, 1 sliced in half and seeded… if you want more heat, throw both in whole)
- 1 tsp each of: salt, freshly ground black pepper, cumin, paprika, ground mustard, dried cilantro, cayenne or chili powder, garlic powder (NOT garlic salt!), sugar.
- Blend the spices together and rub them all over the pork.
- Pour the beer into the CrockPot with the onions and jalapenos. Lay the pork on top and cook on low for 3-5 hours, until your meat thermometer reads 180 degrees.
- Remove the pork from the CrockPot and lay it on a cutting board to cool. Shred with a fork or your hands.
- Stores & reheats well!
Spicy Green Bean Stir Fry
- 1 lb or so of green beans, trimmed and washed
- 2 tsp hot chili oil
- 1 slice of bacon, chopped
- 1/2 a yellow onion, chopped
- 2 tsp chili garlic paste (available in the Asian foods section of your local supermarket)
- 2 tsp Schezuan sauce
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- a splash of broth (whatever type you have on hand)
- Steam the green beans until they’re crisp-tender.
- Saute the onion and bacon in the chili oil until the onions soften.
- Stir in the Worcestershire, Schezuan sauce and chili garlic paste.
- Add a splash of chicken broth to thin out the sauce a bit.
- Toss in the green beans and coat with the sauce. Serve immediately or cook a little longer if you like your green beans limp 🙂
Please note: this is not PF Chang’s recipe. I just guessed based on the flavors I tasted. The best part is that I plugged this is on Calorie Count and it worked out to three servings at 56 calories each. MUCH less than PF Changs!