It seems like I just keep going, going, going. I feel like the Energizer bunny, but I really just want to beg someone to take the batteries out.
I was expecting work to slow down enough for me to re-balance my life and get back to my old habits. That slow down has been more gradual than expected, especially with some new responsibilities on my plate. Tuesday, I developed a plan that will divide the workload and make my end of it more reasonable and tolerable. Today, I’ll discuss that plan with my supervisor and a couple colleagues to make some decisions on how to better manage the workload.
Hopefully, there will be relief soon. In the meantime, I’m carefully monitoring my emotions, hunger, stress and fatigue since I know all of those are likely to go out of whack when life is a little unbalanced. I’m also counting the successes I’ve had in maintaining balance. It’s a mind trick. When I’m overloaded at work, it’s often difficult for me to remember I HAVE had time to take care of myself, which leads to this overall mopiness about feeling overworked. So this week:
- I went to WW. I had a 3 lb loss–woo-hoo!
- I went to the gym and ellipticalled (you’re darn right I’ll make that a verb!) for 45 minutes Tuesday and went to spin class Wednesday.
- Last night, despite a mega time crunch between the gym and an evening work commitment, I made a recipe I adapted from the Top Chef cookbook: mango couscous with coconut curry steamed shrimp. It was amazing with fresh ginger, basil and cilantro! And I have leftovers.
- Tonight I’m making some kind of lettuce wrap with thinly sliced pork, red pepper, shredded carrot and rice noodles with a soy-sesame sauce, I think.
- Tonight, I will also go to the gym for cardio and maybe weights. And have a phone date with a friend I haven’t talked to in a month (!!!–seriously–that’s what working at a college will do to you in August).
- Today, I’m going into work a little late due to yesterday’s long day. I slept in, I’m blogging and relaxing with a hot cup of coffee and the Today show. I’m still in my PJs. Love it! This is perhaps the best start of the day… I may start waking up a tad earlier so I can do this every day.
- This weekend, Evan and I both have the weekend off, but we both have other commitments. He will be at a Threadless Meet Up while I will be at a Writer’s Conference.
- I will do my 10 mile training walk tomorrow and my 6 mile walk Saturday before I leave for the conference.