Thank you Trader Joe’s for such inspiration! On Friday, we FINALLY got a Trader Joe’s in the Princeton area. I was not the only one who was excited judging from the lines that were as long as the dairy aisle! I found a new product in the nuts/seeds/snacks section that caught my attention: chili lime mixed nuts. It’s a blend of cashews, peanuts and almonds in a fiery chili lime spice mix with dried pieces of lime leaves and hot chili peppers.
After snacking on some, I thought of the perfect use for them: Chex Mix!
Chex Mix is my favorite guilty pleasure. I often play around with the traditional mix by using Bran Chex in place of one of the others or replacing the bagel chips with Cheerios. This time I decided to take the flavor a step further by playing around with the seasonings. Here’s the recipe:
- 3 cups Rice Chex
- 3 cups Wheat Chex
- 3 cups Corn Chex
- 1 cup Cheerios
- 1 cup of thin pretzel sticks
- 1 cup of Trader Joe’s Chili Lime mixed nuts
- 6 TBS butter
- 2 TBS lime juice
- 1.5 tsp seasoning salt
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- Melt the butter, lime juice and spices. Toss with the cereals, pretzels and nuts.
- Bake at 250 degrees for 1 hour and 15 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes.
- Let cool before storing in an airtight container. (Storing it in a sealed container while it’s still hot will result in a soggy mix.)