I’m not gonna lie. The fact that I was up before the crack of dawn and it was still dark out just minutes before the Today Show’s opening credits, killed me. But it’s good for me.
I learned my morning cup of coffee tastes better before dawn, as I logged my intended eats on TheDailyPlate and planned my day, which included a post-work trip to the gym, right after a snack of apple and pb to keep me fueled. You know what the mall parking lot looks like on Black Friday or Boxing Day? Yeah… that was my gym today. Somehow, I managed to effectively and efficiently complete my strength AND cardio workout. No one was on the Cybex machines but everyone was on the ellipticals and treadmills. Fortunately, there are a couple treadmills that are tricky to use, so the newbies avoided them and I was able to steal one for a half hour or so.
Last night I planned my meals for the week and went grocery shopping after getting home from Evan’s. The only problem: I managed to leave my wallet at home. How could I do that? I had my purse, phone, keys, coupons AND shopping list. But no wallet. If anything, I forget the coupons. The cashier rang everything up and set it aside until I could drive home (10 miles) to retrieve it and return. The lady at the customer service desk laughed–she said “Blame it on the weather–brain freeze from those gusty cold winds we got this weekend.” Sounds good to me.
But really, 2010 is about no excuses. Complete and total accountability. By the way, I’m BETA testing the new Daily Plate… if you haven’t been on it lately, you should try it. Food logging is much quicker than before and looks great–you can more easily see your nutritional information for each meal! I love it! Those of you fortunate enough to own iPhones can also access the mobile site.
BREAKFAST (220 calories):
- 1/2 cup of Egg Beaters with Laughing Cow on a light multigrain English muffin smeared with 1 tsp of Smart Balance Light
- coffee with half and half
AM SNACK (159 calories)
- 1/2 a naval orange
- 1/3 cup of FF Chobani
- TBS of chopped walnuts
LUNCH (390 calories)
- red pepper and provolone chicken sausage (1 link)
- Fake mac & cheese (shirataki noodles, zucchini sliced into ribbons, 1 TBS parmesan, Laughing Cow cheese wedge)
- 3/4 cup steamed broccoli
- side salad (greens, cuke, tomato, green pepper) with 1 TBS Ken’s light Italian dressing
- 3/4 cup of light canned peaches
- 1/3 cup of FF Chobani
- 1 square of Dove chocolate with a peanut butter center
AFTERNOON/PRE-WORKOUT SNACK (225 calories)
- apple with 1 TBS peanut butter (I love my Skippy Natural!)
DINNER (618 calories)
- grilled or baked salmon fillet
- lentils (1/4 cup dry) cooked w/chicken broth, diced celery, onion, mushroom & fresh parsley
- 2 cups arugula w/a light dressing made of 1 tsp lemon juice, 1 tsp EVOO dressing & a tsp of parmesan
- hot decaf green tea
- 1 square of chocolate (50 calories)
Total calories consumed: 1655
WORKOUT (456 calories burned according to the Bodybugg)
It felt great to be organized, fuel my body with healthy whole, clean foods and have a good workout. It’s also nice to remember how easy it is (don’t hate me!) to come up with low-cal, satisfying meals. I’m not eating rabbit food, although the fake mac and cheese really needed a little work. Other nutritional highlights:
- I consumed 34 g of fiber (big spenders: 8g in lentils, 6g in a large apple)
- I stayed below the recommended limits for cholesterol and sodium
Tonight, I’m taking a few minutes to prepare tomorrow’s snacks and lunch to save me some time during my morning routines. I’m also taking my measurements and will continue to do this monthly to assess my progress on the weight loss front.
Not so good: my dinner and lunch today should have been swapped. I needed more calories (and carbs) at lunch and found myself hungry quickly which just set a downward slide to my hunger and food cravings the rest of the day. Currently, I’m sipping on tea and wishing it was ice cream. Or a chocolate bar. But I had my 100 calories worth of cocoa today and I’ve eaten my calorie budget. I’m done. Decaf green tea it is. Also, instead of lounging in the living room with my book and indulgent A&E reality TV, I’m going upstairs to my bedroom so I’m farther away from food and temptation. I’m a little more than halfway done “The Lovely Bones” and it’s amazing! This will be my first book read in 2010, and I’ll be done reading it by the weekend.
I’m excited to get my new Nook when it comes in 2 weeks from now. Any suggestions on what book I should download first?