Last week, I had an occasion that required me to wear a suit. I haven’t worn one since I was job searching in 2007, nearly 70lbs heavier than I am now. Clearly those suits won’t work–and they were donated a long time ago.
I spent hours in several stores: JCPenney, Banana Republic, Ann Taylor, the Gap, etc. I was Goldilock’s shopping at the Bears’ house but Mama Bear’s wardrobe was conspicuously absent.
- Banana Republic: Shirts fit (evidenced by the fact that I bought 2 or 3) but the pants were too small.
- JCPenneys: Plenty of nice dresses (I may have purchased 3!) but no suits or suit-like separates. Probably because it was a factory/outlet store.
- The Gap: Nothing even remotely resembling a suit. And is it just me or do their clothes look like they’re made more cheaply? I feel like they’re following the Old Navy path of cheap and disposable clothing (only with a bigger price tag).
- Ann Taylor Outlet: my favorite of the three but the suit I wanted didn’t come with pants in tall lengths. I really need longer pants–especially if I’m wearing heels (which was the plan). I easily could have purchased several tops, but limited myself to a short sleeved v-neck sweater with a classy button detail on the sleeves.
I know what I want which both helps and hinders the suit searching:
- pinstripe suit (in navy)
- a feminine top (not a button down) with a bright, splashy pattern and bright colors (purples, blues or greens)
- simple, round toe pumps. 2-3″ heel. Patent leather or suede. Especially if they’re gray.
What did I get? A simple black suit, kelly green top and these heels. It felt and looked good, but lacked oompf.
Any ideas for where to find nice work clothes in tall lengths? Most places don’t carry talls in size 16 or 18, which is what I need for pants.