Last week, FatBridesmaid invited folks to take pictures of their outfits this week for a fashion Friday post. Since last week I wore jeans to work three times and was feeling a general blah when it came to this transitional summer/fall wardrobe, I needed the challenge. Otherwise, I feared I’d start showing up to work in the Old Navy flannel snowflake pajama bottoms I’ve been wearing on a monthly basis (yes, even in the summer) since grunge was still popular.
Fashion side note: Am I the only one who is more than a little excited about the resurgence of chunky-soled shoes and plaid? The 90s are back, baby!
I swear I have more in my closet, but there is a heck of a lot of clothing from Target in here. That’s funny considering I never go clothes shopping at Target–I just occasionally notice things there that I decide I like and should purchase–
So here, I give you a week of outfits:
Monday: Professional and classic with a touch of feminine.
- Lane Bryant Right Fit Lexington Pants in black
- Merona (from Target) tissue thin, drape neck tank top in white
- Merona (from Target) summer-weight, 3/4 sleeve cardigan in this blue/white pattern that reminds me of a weeping willow tree
- ana ankle boots (from JCPenney)
- Silver bracelet from Kohl’s (it perfectly hides my tattoo and I love the bird engraving)
- Silver ring that I’ve had forever and absolutely love
- Silver and some kind of mineral/gemstone earrings from Target (does anyone know what this stone is?)
Tuesday (work): a little too matchy-matchy but I love these colors and they look great with Lorrie’s earrings.
- Grayish-blue stretch pencil skirt
- Moss green lightweight cardigan (Target)
- Brown tank top (from Lane Bryant and too big, so I have to wear it with a cardigan, but I love the satin slightly gathered neckline)
- brown tights and brown knee-high boots
- Long beaded necklace
- Organism earrings from Lorrie
- Fossil watch with brown leather and green suede band
Wednesday: I’m not sure what to call this… colorful and modern?
- Purple cropped short-sleeved jacket (Lane Bryant)
- White tank with sequin scoop neck (Lane Bryant)
- Lee jeans
- Madden Girl gray round toe pumps (my favorite pair of shoes in my collection and also the most comfortable)
- The same silver jewelry from Monday
Thursday: Dressed for success!
- Blue, green and black print dress (part of my closet-consuming JCPenney/Kohl’s dress collection–I think this one is from Penney’s)
- Black leather heels–do you know how difficult it is to find leather shoes around here? And I’ve already scuffed the toes after just 4 or 5 wears.
- Silver drop earrings
- Silver hummingbird necklace
- The same silver bracelet and ring from Monday
- Worthington “Curvy” pants with a subtle navy, cream and black plaid pattern
- Short-sleeved v-neck sweater with button detail on sleeve (Ann Taylor)
- the same ana black ankle boots from Monday
- the same jewelry (minus the hummingbird necklace) from yesterday
When it’s all said and done, I feel the need to update my wardrobe, but don’t know what to get. I’m thinking my “must-have” list includes way too many boots and a few essentials:
- black knee-high leather boots
- brown or taupe or camel boots (I like these and these and a pair by Michael Kors that I could/would never justify dropping $400 on, even if it is on sale)
- I’d like to justify also getting a pair of grey suede boots like these.
- a new pair of jeans (my most commonly worn pair is a size too big now)
- Longer pants (to wear with heels)
- a denim skirt
- Sheer black tights and a few pairs of ‘hose
- All of my pants are wider-leg trousers, but now that I’ve lost more weight, I’m tempted to try a straight leg for a change
- A brown leather belt
My fall/winter wardrobe contains a mind-blowing number of cardigans (2 white ones, 1 or 2 cream-colored ones, 2 brown ones, blue, yellow, moss, aqua, orange–and I’m sure I’m forgetting some others). It makes getting dressed easy and results in comfortable outfits.
While I love dresses in the summer, I don’t love them as much in the winter. I hate fussing with hose and tights and I find it challenging to find those that fit and look right (what I want: tights that are a little bit sheer and long enough so I don’t feel the crotch sagging all day). Suggestions? I’m 5’9″.
Also, I have hang-ups about my legs. I have thick, chunky calves that can’t carry off wearing ankle boots with a dress and it’s difficult to find knee-high boots that fit (and in case you couldn’t tell, I lovvvvve boots in the fall/winter).
So, you’ve seen my pictures for this week, you know what I have (and what I don’t) and you know my clothing/body hang-ups. Pretend I’m one of your paper dolls. What would you dress me in?
Also, Elizabeth & Kyle… if you’re reading, didn’t you promise me a wardrobe makeover? 😉