Since I’m dropping the calorie counting from my routine, I figured I still needed a reminder of my good health guidelines to prevent me from living on cookies for the new year. Here are my daily nutritional goals:
- Water: 8-10 glasses a day (admittedly, I’m okay if a few of these are from decaf green tea, juice, etc.)
- Protein: 3 servings, but some protein-containing food with every meal and snack
- Dairy: 3 servings
- Fruit: 2-4 servings
- Veggies: 4 servings
- Quality carbs: 6-11 servings
- Healthy fats: 3 servings (avocado, nuts, nut butters, olive oil)
Fitness schedule: I just learned that one of my fave spin instructors is no longer doing the Wednesday class, so that allows me an extra free evening.
- Monday: 7pm Walk & Weights Express class
- Tuesday: morning walk (2-4 miles)
- Wednesday: REST
- Thursday: 20 minute weight circuit & 6:30pm spin class
- Friday: Lunchtime walk & weights express class
- Saturday: REST
- Sunday: 9:30am spin class
SAMPLE DAILY MEAL PLAN:
- oatmeal & 1 TBS peanut butter or 1/4 cup of egg whites, glass of orange juice OR
- 2 eggs with 2 slices of light whole wheat toast, glass or orange juice
- piece of fruit and a light string cheese OR
- nonfat latte OR
- 1/2 cup of Greek yogurt with 1/2 cup of fruit and a TBS of nuts or crunchy, high-fiber cereal
- It depends on what the dining hall is serving. I often go for stir fry or soup and either salad or a 1/2 sandwich.
- This week, I’m packing my lunches and will have Tuscan vegetable soup and a cheese sandwich or cheese and crackers.
- My all-time favorite: Greek yogurt smoothie made with frozen fruit and skim milk
- a serving of protein, 1-2 servings of complex carbs and 2 servings of veggies
- fruit, ice cream, pudding or a 1/2 bowl of low-sugar cereal with skim milk.